iTEP Academic-Plus has five sections for different English language skills, which appear in the following order: grammar, listening, reading, writing, and speaking. Each section contains questions targeting a variety of levels of English proficiency.
|Section||Format||Number and Type of Questions||Time|
|Complete the sentences||13 Questions||10 Minutes|
|Identify incorrect phrase or word||12 Questions|
|4 short conversations||4 Multiple-Choice||20 Minutes|
|One 2-3 minute conversation||4 Multiple-Choice|
|One 4-minute lecture||6 Multiple-Choice|
|250-word passage||4 Multiple-Choice||25 Minutes|
|450-word passage||6 Multiple-Choice|
|Writing||Listen and respond to instructions||Written response of 50-75 words||25 Minutes|
|Listen to a topic||175-225 words to express and support an opinion on a specified topic|
|Listen and read a short question||Prepare and speak||5 Minutes|
|Listen to two (2) sides of a topic||Prepare and state an opinion|
Grammar – 10 minutes/1 parts
This section is comprised of twenty-five multiple-choice questions, each of which tests familiarity with a key feature of English structure. This section includes a range of structures from simple to more complex, as well as a range of vocabulary from beginning to advanced. There are two question types, each with on-screen examples.
Listening – 20 minutes/3 parts
- Part 1:Four conversations of 2-3 sentences ranging from high-beginning level to low-intermediate, each followed by 1 multiple-choice question.
- Part 2: One 2- to 3-minute intermediate-level conversation followed by 4 multiple-choice questions.
- Part 3: One 4-minute lecture followed by 6 multiple-choice questions.
Reading – 20 minutes/2 parts
- Part 1: One intermediate-level passage about 250 words in length followed by 4 multiple-choice questions.
- Part 2: One college-level paragraph about 450 words in length followed by 6 multiple-choice questions.
Writing – 25 minutes/2 parts
- Part 1: The test-taker is asked to write a short note, geared at the low-intermediate level, on a supplied topic in response to instructions (5 minutes / 50-75 words).
- Part 2: The test taker is presented with a brief, low-advanced level written topic and is asked to express and support his/her opinion on the topic (20 minutes / 175-225 words).
Speaking – 5 minutes/2 parts
- Part 1: A short question geared at low-intermediate level is played. The test-taker has 30 seconds to prepare a spoken response, and 45 seconds to speak.
- Part 2: A brief low-advanced-level clip is played presenting two sides of an issue. The test-taker is asked to express his or her thoughts on the topic, with 45 seconds to prepare, and 60 seconds to speak.
Total actual test time per examinee is approximately 50 minutes for iTEP Academic-Core and 80 minutes for iTEP Academic-Plus. In addition, test administrators allocate an additional 10 minutes for pre-test instructions and test-taker questions.
iTEP Academic is delivered via the Internet at a Certified iTEP Test Center for admissions, or an iTEP client’s location for their own internal purposes. During the reading, listening, and grammar sections the test-taker selects one of the four answer choices for each question.
Writing samples are typed directly into a text entry field during the writing section, and speaking samples are recorded with a headset microphone during the speaking section.