One goal, many measures.
Without the highest standard of test security, all of the other advantages of iTEP are meaningless. The goal of test security is simple: to get an accurate result for a test-taker. The measures taken to ensure this goal are many.
The security protocols below are followed and closely monitored at all Certified iTEP Test Centers administering iTEP for admissions purposes. Naturally, tests administered by institutions on their campuses for placement or other purposes may follow different protocols.
In order to ensure test-takers accurately represent their identity, iTEP created FotoSure, a proprietary software that photographs the test-taker throughout the exam. These images are available to institutions considering the test-taker for admissions.
- All of the test questions are streamed live over the Internet and selected at random from an item bank. This means no two tests are alike, so copying the answers or somehow obtaining them in advance is not possible.
- One or more qualified test administrators is present at all times in our secure and thoroughly vetted testing facilities. The administrators move about the room and make sure that candidates are not violating security policies.
- Prior to taking the iTEP exam, the test-taker must present the test administrator with a government-issued picture ID, which must match the identification information provided during registration.
- Test-takers are seated so that they are not able to view the work of others. Computer stations are separated by partitions.
- Reference materials or tools and other personal effects (such as dictionaries, mobile phones, audio recording devices, notebooks, etc.) are not permitted in the room during the test. Smoking, eating, or drinking are prohibited as well.
- During the testing process, candidates may only have two items on their desk: a pen or pencil, and one sheet of paper for note taking in the listening and speaking sections. The notepaper is collected at the end of the test, though it is not graded.
- The administrator reserves the right to dismiss a candidate from the test or declare a candidate’s test results void if the candidate violates any of the above conditions or fails to follow the administrator’s instructions during the test.